This 30 minute clean eating healthy tortilla soup recipe is really really easy to make. That’s why it only takes thirty minutes to make.
This healthy tortilla soup that’s made with chicken has been a staple of in our family for years. Both my children and I love it. I not only love the taste, but love how most of the meal is in one pot and how quickly I can pull it together. I also like how everyone can make the soup how they like it by choosing their own toppings. Here are some tricks, tips, variations and substitutions that I like:
- It can easily be made in the crock pot by throwing all the ingredients in a crock pot and cooking on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Chicken thighs are much better for this though since they can’t be overcooked. Sometimes I even use chicken thighs with the bones and skin and at the end take each piece out and take out the bones and skin. The soup tastes so good this way.
- You can make it even faster and easier by using a store-bought rotisserie chicken or cooking your chicken ahead of time and freezing it. Just throw the frozen block right in the soup.
- I like to make extras of this and freeze it in containers like this and then send them to work with my husband. So much healthier and tasty than the cans of soup he used to eat.
- A lot of people add corn to their soup. I consider corn a grain and try to eat as little of it as possible, so I leave it out. Plus, it’s hard to find non-GMO corn for the Clean Eating diet. This would go really well with some fresh, organic corn on the cob though. . .
- You can substitute the red bell pepper with green pepper or jalapenos, or all of the above.
- I usually add a generous amount of cayenne pepper and some Tabasco, but not everyone likes spicy so I left it out of the main recipe.
- I often throw in some summer squash in addition to or instead of the zucchini.
- I shop at Costco a lot and they don’t have crushed tomatoes, so I usually just blend the diced tomatoes. It’s better really because I don’t like the occasional piece of tomato and sometimes crushed tomatoes have things added to them.
If you like this healthy tortilla soup, you may also like these recipes:
Easy 30-Minute Clean Eating Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
I love how I can get a healthy, satisfying dinner on the table in 30 minutes and everyone likes it. I really like this chicken tortilla soup because you don't even have to cook the chicken first.
- 2 Tbl oil of your choice
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped or sliced
- 2 Small Zucchinis cut in half lengthwise and sliced into half moons
- 4 oz Diced Green Chilies
- 1 Diced Jalapeno (or you can omit if you don't like the heat and flavor)
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 large chicken tenders either cooked, uncooked or frozen
- 1 28 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 15 ounce can Black Beans
- 1 Tbl Olive Oil
- 1 ½ tsp Coarse Real Salt
- 4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Tbl Chopped Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Cilantro
- Corn Tortilla Chips
- Diced Avocado
- Lime Slices
- Cheddar Cheese
To a large dutch or stockpot, add oil and heat on medium-low.
Add the onion, peppers, zucchinis, jalapeños, etc. and cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Bring to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are all soft.
Just before serving, add the chopped cilantro and check seasonings. Add more salt and pepper if desired.
This healthy tortilla soup really is healthy. It’s made with good clean wholesome ingredients. I really like making soup because I think it’s fun to dump stuff into a big pot. Good figure, I’d weird.