This Clean Eating easy baked BBQ chicken thighs recipe is so good, my kids beg for it all the time. It’s really quick and easy to make so it’s a win-win. Basically, all I do is put the chicken in a pan and while the oven is preheating, throw all the ingredients in the saucepan and let them get started warming up.
By the time I get all the ingredients in the pan, I call it good enough and dump it over the chicken and throw it in the oven. I love that I can do anything I want while dinner is cooking. And while the oven is already on, I usually add some things to the oven to finish off the meal, like a baked potato and roasted vegetables.
Here are some tips, tricks, and variations for these easily baked BBQ chicken thighs:
- The tomato paste can be subbed with tomato sauce if you want a sauce that’s not quite as strong and quite a bit runnier.
- Make sure you use real maple syrup. Not the flavored sugar that some companies like to call maple syrup. The deeper the color and lower the grade, the better.
- You can also use this same recipe on a grill. Cook the sauce longer in the saucepan until it gets thick and rich. Then just baste the chicken every few minutes when you turn the chicken and serve the remaining sauce with the chicken. Make sure and use a separate sauce for basting than you use for the top to avoid cross-contamination. I especially love it this way when there is skin on the chicken.
- Someone always asks this, so I’ll just address it now – Yes. You can use chicken breast. It may turn out a bit dry, and they take less time to cook. I can’t tell you exactly how much less cause it totally depends on how thick they are, etc. but maybe 10-20 minutes less. Make sure not to overcook the chicken breasts, because that’s very easy to do.
If you like these baked bbq chicken thighs, you may also like these recipes:Print
Clean Eating Easy Baked BBQ Chicken Recipe
This homemade BBQ sauce is easy to make in 5 minutes then dump over chicken. I love not having to worry about it while it’s cooking.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 100 minutes
- Total Time: 120 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a saucepan. Add the tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and ground mustard to the oil and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the pineapple concentrate, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and salt to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and Let the sauce cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place the chicken in a 9×13 baking dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken, making sure all surfaces are coated. Bake on the center rack of preheated oven for 90-105 minutes, or until chicken is very tender.
Keywords: chicken, pineapple juice, tomato paste, Baked BBQ Chicken
I hope you like my Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs recipe. Let me know what you think; I’m interested to know if other people like it as much as I do.