These are the very best ever clean eating pizza muffins recipes. Kids and adults love them. They are muffins with the best pizza ingredients.
The struggle is real at my house. I hate making home lunch for my children. Loathe it with a passion. I’m not quite sure why I hate it so much. Oh! I know part of the reason. I spend all this time and energy making food and there is always at least one person who doesn’t like it. Enter these clean eating pizza muffins.
Once I created this recipe, my life got a little easier. I mean, this is basically their whole lunch in one neat, little package. I just add a veggie and fruit and call it good. They are filling and delicious. They are especially good dipped in some pizza sauce. Bonus – I even found containers that don’t leak to put the pizza sauce in. Click here to see them.
I made several batches of these and found the best way to keep them from being dry and pasty was to do a biscuit/muffin approach. The process is like making a biscuit but baked in muffin tins. They held together well and were full of flavor. Not dry at all!
I like to change things up and use mozzarella cheese or sausage sometimes too. I do have to admit they taste better hot (just like pizza), but they are fine cold too (just like pizza). I have to wait to make these until my children have gone to bed or they aren’t any left for lunch.
Please let me know if you try this recipe and you ate them warm or cold, with or without pizza sauce, etc.
If you like these Clean Eating Pizza Muffins, you may also like these recipes:Print
The Very Best Ever Clean Eating Pizza Muffins Recipe
These Clean Eating pizza muffins are perfect for making ahead for a delicious lunch or snack. I think my children would starve if it wasn’t for these!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- Category: Lunch, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Oat Flour
- 2 Tbl Tapioca Starch (arrowroot will work as well)
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Dried Italian Seasoning (oregano, parsley, basil)
- 1 1/2 Tbl Baking Powder
- 1 stick Cold Butter (cut into cubes)
- 3/4 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese (cubed mozzarella works as well)
- 2/3 Cup Applegate Farms pepperoni (cut into quarters)
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, oat flour, tapioca starch, salt, onion powder, herbs, and baking powder. Add the butter cubes and work in with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the pepperoni and cheese and toss evenly throughout the mixture.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and water. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Using a large scoop, divide the mixture between the 12 wells of a greased muffin tin, making sure each scoop is rounded on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool in the pan for 2 minutes. Remove and store in an airtight container.