This is the best ever Clean Eating taco pizza recipe with spicy marinara sauce. The pizza crust is made with Spelt flour, which is one of my favorite Clean flours. I think you will be happy with how it is probably different from your regular pizza yet similar tasting to food you regularly eat.
I first tried taco pizza about 20 years ago when I was working for a lawyer and his wife suggested we get taco pizza from Pizza Hut. I had never heard of such a thing. It’s not on the menu, but apparently – at least at that time at that Pizza Hut in Casper, WY – they would make it for you on request. It was so good. I still don’t understand why they don’t make it a regular menu item.
I like to make it at home regularly because well, I don’t like most pork meats. I don’t like sausage, pepperoni or ham. Plus, those things really aren’t all that healthy. Plus, it’s fun to have a variety of food. I think as a general rule, that ground beef is a lot healthier than the cured meats I mentioned above and, because of the spices, this has a lot of flavor so you don’t miss the more fattening meats.
I especially love this pizza with grass-fed ground beef from U.S. Wellness Meats. It’s so much healthier for you, it comes to your door and it costs less than the grass-fed beef at my grocery store, as long as I buy a lot all at once. This is my personal favorite and I usually buy 40 pounds at once so I get the quantity discount and the 40 pound $25 discount. Then I fill up my freezer for a few months.
Plus, the biggest thing about this taco pizza recipe is the FLAVOR. I mean, Hispanic food can be really delicious and, granted, this is very Americanized, but it’s flavorful and has a lot of flavors going on in each bite. Plus, it puts two of my children’s favorite foods together = win-win. I mean, almost all children love pizza and tacos.
What is your favorite type of pizza? I actually like Canadian bacon and pineapple – but even better is bacon and pineapple. Bacon is one of the cuts of pork that I actually do love, especially if it’s uncured. I think with Canadian bacon and pineapple you either love like or you hate it.
Oh, another variation of this recipe is to put shredded lettuce on top and some sort of dressing, like ranch, tomatillo ranch, salsa, tomatillo salsa, etc. I mean, really just make it how you like it. It doesn’t have to be beautiful. It just has to taste good.
Have you ever tried or even heard of taco pizza before? Do you know if Pizza Hut or any other chains make taco pizza? Is Pizza Hut even open anymore? I haven’t seen one for a long time and it’s not like it’s the kind of place I would go looking for now that I eat Clean.
If you like this taco pizza recipe, you may also like these recipes:Print
Clean Eating Taco Pizza Recipe with Spicy Marinara Sauce
I love this Clean Eating Taco Pizza! It’s a lot healthier than pepperoni and my kids love it.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
Clean Eating Pizza Crust
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- 2 Tbsp no sugar added applesauce. If you don’t have applesauce, add 2 Tbl. more of oil)
- 2 cups light spelt flour (can add up to half as whole spelt flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning or store-bought Clean taco seasoning
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1 1/2 cups colby jack cheese
- Cook ground beef in a skillet until browned all the way through
- Drain excess grease and add 1 packet of taco seasoning
- Prepare crust according to directions
- Prepare spicy marinara sauce by combining all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes
- Spread marinara sauce on the crust
- Top with ground beef
- Sprinkle cheese on top of ground beef
- Top with tomatoes and olives
- Bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes
- Let water and yeast sit until yeast is foaming (about five minutes)
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Knead until it comes together
Keywords: pizza crust, ground beef, marinara sauce, tomatoes, Taco Pizza