This Slow Cooker Clean Eating Creamy White Chicken Chili Recipe is really good. You can have the benefits of eating chili but it isn’t like other chili’s. Creamy white chicken chili is a popular recipe for a good reason. It’s healthy, light and flavorful. It’s especially easy and flavorful when cooked in a slow cooker.
I find myself making this a lot. I actually make it for large group dinners a lot. It’s so easy to throw everything in the pot and let it cook while I clean and get ready for the party. And then dinner is all in one bowl, with a few things as optional toppings to make it a little special. Some things I like to top the chili with are sour cream, fresh cilantro, lime juice, green onion, chopped jalapeños and/or corn chips.
Some substitutions and changes I like to make sometimes are canned or fresh jalapeños instead of or in addition to the green chilis. Lots of times I skip the thickening part. I don’t add the milk at the beginning and flour at the end, because I don’t always feel like it’s necessary.
Another change you could make is to cook it on the stovetop. When I do that, sometimes I use chicken breasts and cook them at the same time I’m cooking the main chili part and add them together at the end.
Or I use the chicken thighs and put them uncooked in the pot and bring the whole pot to a boil and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked, generally around an hour or so. I have also cooked the soup in my Instant Pot. You just put all the ingredients in and push the Meat/Stew button and it takes 35 minutes (plus the time to get up to pressure).
I would love to know if you have any ideas on additions or deletions or different cooking methods that you use. Please comment below with your ideas.
If you like this creamy white chicken chili, you may also like these recipes:Print
Slow Cooker Clean Eating White Chicken Chili Recipe
I love white chicken chili. It’s so easy to make and tastes so good and I really like this recipe for cooking it in the slow cooker. Definitely a keeper!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 360 minutes
- Total Time: 390 minutes
- Yield: 10
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
- 2.5 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 3 cans Great Northern Beans
- 2 8 oz cans Diced Green Chilies
- 1 Very large yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 Tbl Garlic, (minced)
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- 1 Tbl Coarse Real Salt
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk or regular milk
- 1/4 Cup Arrowroot Starch or cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/3 Cup Cilantro (chopped)
- Place the chicken thighs, beans, chilies, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, pepper, salt, chicken broth, and coconut milk in a crock pot. Cook on high for 5-6 hours, or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove the chicken and place in a bowl. Lightly shred with a fork.
- Place the arrowroot starch in a small bowl and slowly whisk in the 1/2 C. water to make a smooth, lump-free mixture. Stir the mixture into the chili in the crock pot.
- Add the chicken back into the chili and stir to distribute. Let cook for another 30 minutes. Soup should thicken up.
- Add the cilantro to the soup just before serving and check the seasonings, adding more salt or pepper if desired. If you want the soup to be a little thinner, add more chicken broth or coconut milk until desired consistency is achieved.
- Top with a squeeze of lime juice.
Keywords: chicken, great northern beans, green chilis, White Chicken Chili