Clean Eating Whole Wheat Crock Pot Bread Recipe
This whole wheat crock pot bread recipe is ingenious! You let it rise on low and then cook it on high. It cuts down on the total time and is so moist and so good with butter on it while it’s hot!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 105 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
- 3 to 3 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 1/3 Cups Very Warm Water
- Tbl Rounded 1/2 Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/2 Tbl Himalayan Pink Salt
- 2 Tbl Grass-fed Butter (melted)
- 1 Tbl Coconut Oil (melted)
- 2 Tbl Raw Honey
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened or naturally sweetened Dried Cranberries, (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- Mix 2 cups of the wheat flour with the yeast in a mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer.
- Pour in the warm water and mix well. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes in a warm area.
- After 15 minutes, add the vital wheat gluten, salt, butter, coconut oil, honey , cranberries, and walnuts to the bowl and mix in until well combined.
- Mix in the remaining flour until the dough is just pulling way from the sides. It should be somewhat sticky, but not too sticky to handle.
- Knead with a stand mixer or by hand for 5 minutes. If you choose to mix by hand, coat you work surface and hands with whole wheat flour to prevent sticking.
- After 5 minutes of kneading, shape the dough into a circle or oval (depending on the shape of your crock pot) and coat it well with flour.
- Grease the bowl of your crock pot.
- Place the round of dough in the crock pot and sprinkle a little more flour over the top of the dough.
- Place the lid on the crock pot and turn it onto the ‘low’ setting. Let the dough raise for 30 minutes, or until it is doubled in size.
- Turn the crock pot onto it’s ‘high’ setting and let the bread cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The bread will feel firm to the touch on top when it is ready.
- With hot pads, place just the crock pot bowl (no lid!) in the oven and turn the broiler on high. Let the top of the bread brown for 30 seconds or so, or until you like the color on top (the bread will not gain any color on the top of the loaf by cooking it in the crock pot, just the bottom and sides).
- Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Remove the loaf from the crock pot bowl and serve!
- *Store in an airtight container. Will keep for several days.
Keywords: whole wheat flour, honey, Crock Pot Bread