This sizzling cilantro lime clean eating chicken salad is almost like eating chicken fajita’s but without the tortillas so it’s gluten-free too and more healthy.
I’m in love with this Clean Eating chicken salad and I hope you try it and fall in love too! Like a lot of my Clean Eating recipes, I start with a basic recipe and make tons of variations and substitutions of the recipe. Here are some tips, substitutions and variations I make for this recipe:
- This is really good with grilled chicken breasts
- What we end up doing a lot for family parties is we grill both chicken tenders and chicken thighs after we marinade the meat. While it’s grilling, we cook the veggies in the oven so we can cook lots at a time and not have to watch them so much. We just put them on a 9×13 pan or cookie sheet, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Then for serving, along with the salad ingredients, we put out different options so people can make what they want. We have tortillas, sour cream, cheese and black beans for tacos, burritos or normal fajitas. Everyone loves how they can make their own variation and kids don’t have to eat the parts they don’t like.
- You really can use any type of oil you want. I say to use avocado oil because that’s the main oil I use. It has a high smoke point and mild flavor and they sell it at Costco. I don’t recommend extra virgin olive oil because it’s hard to find one that’s truly olive oil that I can afford and because the flavor is too strong.
- You can also prepare the marinade and chicken and freeze it ahead of time. It makes it extra flavorful and extra juicy.
Let me just say that just about anything with this vinaigrette is good. So good. Like, excuse me while I sneak out of the room for a minute and drink this. I grow tons of cilantro in my garden just so I can make this stuff, because it can be expensive at the store.
Give this clean eating chicken salad a try! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how much vinaigrette you keep pouring on because you just need more and more.
You may also like these recipes
If you like this Clean Eating Chicken Salad, you may also like these recipes:
Sizzling Cilantro Lime Clean Eating Fajita Salad
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
FOR THE MARINADE:
FOR THE SALAD:
- 4 Chicken Breasts cut into strips
- 1 Large Yellow Onion peeled and sliced
- 1 Large Yellow Bell Pepper, seeds removed, cut into strips
- 2-3 heads Romaine Hearts, cut into bit sized pieces
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 3/4 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE:
Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend together until the garlic is well chopped and ingredients have emulsified.
MAKE THE MARINADE:
Using the same blender or processor that the vinaigrette was made in (you don't need to wash it out), place all ingredients for the marinade inside and puree until garlic is finely chopped.
Pour 1/2 of the marinade into a bowl or Ziploc bag and add chicken to the marinade.
Pour the other half of the marinade into another bag or bowl and add the sliced onion and peppers to it. Let marinate overnight or for several hours, if possible. You can also skip letting it marinade and use it immediately. It will still taste great!
FOR THE SALAD:
Prepare salad plates(or a large bowl) by placing lettuce, avocado sliced, and cherry tomatoes on each plate(or all together in a bowl.
Heat a large sauté pan or wok to high. Add the vegetables (do not add the marinade) to the hot pan and cook quickly, tossing with tongs or a spatula until the veggies are still crisp, but golden brown in spots. Remove from pan and keep warm.
In the same pan on high heat, add the chicken and marinade to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked and slightly caramelized. Toss with the vegetables.
Top salads with the hot chicken and vegetables. Drizzle with the cilantro lime vinaigrette.